The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill said on Monday that it would shut down in-person instruction for undergraduates and move classes online starting Wednesday after a spate of coronavirus outbreaks among students. The announcement came just a week after classes started.

The university, with 30,000 students, is one of the largest in the country to open its campus during the pandemic. Officials said 177 students had been isolated after coronavirus testing as of Monday, and another 349 students were in quarantine because of possible exposure.

“We have not taken this decision lightly,” the school’s chancellor, Kevin M. Guskiewicz, and provost, Robert A. Blouin, wrote in an email announcing the change, which they said was made after consultation with local and state health experts.

The university said it would help students leave campus housing without financial penalty.

This is a developing story. Check back for more details.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here